Monday, April 13, 2009

The 4th Annual Roadkill Chili Cookoff in Poetry

Saturday was a beautiful day in Poetry. We threw one big shindig at my house! With 14 chili's submitted for the 4th Annual Roadkill Chili Cookoff and about 50 folks, we were grateful for sunny skies and no rain.
It is serious business when the tasting is going on. No time to stop and smile for David, my official event photographer.
The three top chili's were rewarded with a plaque. I'm kinda laughing at this picture, because the 2nd and 3rd place winners aren't smiling. I guess they were busy revising their recipes in their heads so they can knock Mr. Smiley Face off his 1st place pedestal next year.
This is the traveling plaque. The 1st place cook gets to take it and have his/her name added. Are you laughing at that tongue?
Ice cream was enjoyed.
David's daughter and her friend enjoyed some boating on the pond.
David's mom got some puppy love.
My mom and David smiled for the camera.
This black bass needs a little more growing time.
And you know this young man had a blast catching his first ever perch at my pond! That was one hot fire! We had chili dogs when we got hungry again that night. The fire was built up after the weenie roast. And then, the rain came. Whew! We got our party in, just in time!
You are, of course, invited to next year's cookoff. Start working on your roadkill chili recipe now!

Happy Monday!
~Mindy

14 comments:

  1. I make a mean chili and might just have to enter to get that kick butt plaque! That plaque is the funniest ever! Where in the world did you get that made?

    MALisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like so much fun! I love the photo of the baby eating ice cream...what a cutie! ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! The tongue is disturbing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a HUGE fan of chili...the hotter, the better I say. Looks like a fun time was had by all! I really, really love this idea.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one and only thing Cat Daddy makes is chili! May just have to get him to enter next year. Looks like y'all had a great time.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! how fun does that sound. Chili tasting what could be more fun??

    ReplyDelete
  7. MALisa, in true junk form, I got that tongue plaque at a garage sale. I ripped the metal plaque off and had another one made. Perfect!

    Candy, funny that you mention hot. By the time I started tasting, a lot of people ahead of me were sniffing. There were 2 chili's that would clear ANYONE'S sinuses! Whew! I bet you'd have loved 'em.

    Yup. Y'all need to work on your recipes. The competition is tough and serious! ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow,what a nice day. Looks like so much fun and yummo!! jojo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like fun was had by all!! And a beautiful day to boot!
    marcie

    ReplyDelete
  10. You throw one heck of a party, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would've loved to taste that chili. I did laugh at the tongue. Glad you all had a great time and a nice day. I'm so sad you are all in Texas....

    -FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like it was loads of fun. Still laughing 'bout your commentary of smiley face and runners up! Too bad for them. And all men. Is that odd? I don't know the last time my husband made chili. Oh wait, I do - never!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Erin, my sister actually won 1st last year. I think it's fairly equal between the men and women cooks. But, the men get super, mega competetive. I bet your hubby would too, if it were a contest. ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute! I enjoyed reading. Looks like a ton of fun.

    ReplyDelete

I smile when I see each new comment. Ideas, acknowledgements, sharing. Your words are always appreciated. Thank you!